Arts & Crafts – Making Table Toppers Out Of Cans
My daughter found this idea on Pinterest and I decided to elaborate a little and make the project ‘my own’. You can actually put almost anything into the decorated cans, such as silverware for a party, writing utensils (i.e. pens, pencils, markers, etc.), scissors, makeup (i.e. eyeliner, mascara, etc.)…the possibilities are endless. I chose flowers because I wanted to use these as table toppers for a party.
- Painters Tape
- Chalkboard spray paint
- A few small rocks from the yard
- Green decorative flower sponges
- Decorative flowers
1. Wash out soup/vegetable/whatever cans very well and take the labels off. You can use whatever size you would like.
2. Once completely dried, choose the paint color and paint the outside. I did all mine the same color – dark blue (because that’s the color paint I had on-hand).
3. When the paint is completely dry, I took painters tape and wrapped it around where I didn’t want the chalkboard paint to be on the cans, then I spraypainted the cans with the chalkboard paint.
4. When completely dry I took the painters tape off and they came out like this.
5. I wrote Happy Bday on the chalkboard paint with chalk.
6. Because I was using these as table toppers outside for a pool party, I put a few small rocks in the bottom of the cans so they wouldn’t blow away.
7. I used the green flower sponges and cut them down to fit inside the cans.
8. Then I arranged the decorative flowers in the cans how I wanted them and set them out on the tables.