Halloween is a fun and creative holiday…actually, my favorite (likely my birthday is just before the big day hehe…). This year I thought I’d give y’all some strange, interesting, and fun facts about Halloween.
- Halloween is a $6 billion industry.
- Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween (I think my daughter has this…)
- The Old English word ‘wicce’, which means ‘wise woman’, is where the word witch came from.
- Jack-O-Lanterns are traditionally made from turnips instead of pumpkins in Great Britain. Today, to the disappointment of turnip farmers, pumpkins are used all over the world.
- In 2011, the largest trend for Halloween costumes was zombies.
- It is popular belief that witches hold one of their two meetings on Halloween.
- Some popular adult costumes include: vixens, nurses, batman, cats, and vampires.
- In Mexico, kids are rewarded with candy skulls when they trick-or-treat.
- Christmas is the first most commercially successful holiday world-wide…Halloween is second.
- 50% of kids prefer to receive chocolate candy on this gruesome night.
- Black is a symbol of darkness and death, and orange (the two colors associated with Halloween) is a symbol of endurance and strength.
- Alcohol poisoning is the biggest danger on Halloween, statistically.
- Halloween has been around for about 6,000 years.
- 2010 consisted of an estimated 41 million kids between the ages of 5 and 14 out trick-or-treating.