So, today is the day where everyone can freely fool their friends, coworkers, and loved ones. It’s a day that is meant to be light-hearted and fun, but it doesn’t always end up that way. Personally, I don’t mind a fun prank to be pulled on me, but please keep it light-hearted (and let me know fairly quickly after the prank, if necessary, that it is a prank).
Some common pranks I’ve either participated in or hear about:
- Telling a spouse that they are pregnant (when they weren’t trying to have a(nother) baby)
- Substituting the sugar for salt at the breakfast table (and vice versa for dinner)
- Run around the house (before anyone in the house wakes up in the morning) yelling that there’s snow on the ground (usually only works in regions where there is no snow that time of the year)
- Getting everyone up and ready to go to a museum and then drive them to the beach (or other destination)
- This one’s for IT – have a system-wide message pop up on all employee’s screens with a crazy message (i.e. Earth has been invaded by aliens, or The President of the United States has sent everyone home for the day)
- Covering the toilet seat with plastic wrap (I do not recommend this one!!!)
- Wrapping a coworker’s desk with plastic wrap and filling it with packing peanuts (I do recommend this one!)
- Tell someone that you stepped on their glasses and broke them (really only works with someone who needs their glasses)
- Tell someone that their shoelace is untied (hilarious when they are wearing shoes that don’t have shoelaces)
- Set a roommate or spouses alarm clock back one hour
- Unplug the TV, hide the power cord, and tell everyone in the house that the TV doesn’t work anymore (some kids will become severely upset about this one!)
- Tell your spouse / roommate that the rent / mortgage just went up $500/month
These are a few fun pranks to pull on friends, loved ones, and coworkers. But, be very careful and tread lightly because what goes around comes back around. Just be careful what prank you pull on who because it could come back to bite you in the you-know-what.
April Fools pranks shouldn’t cost you (or them) any money, shouldn’t be time consuming (unless you’re planning a well-developed and intricate prank), and you should be there to see the prank happen (otherwise, what’s the fun of pulling the prank?). If you have a difficult time keeping a straight face when pulling a prank I’d recommend something that’s setup prior and not one of the pranks that involves telling someone something (i.e. #’s 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, 11, or 12).
What are some fun and light-hearted pranks have you pulled, or had pulled on you? Please do share!