Company Restrooms – How Much Do You Value Your Employees?
We all want to keep our employees happy and healthy, right? In the article Survey: Clean Workplace Restrooms Valued by Employees, Roy Maurer talks about the Healthy Hand Washing Survey 2012 and how the results were a bit gross, in my opinion. According to the survey in Maurer’s article:
- 34% of respondents to the survey reported experiencing clogged or not flushed toilets, bad smells, and toilet / paper towel dispenser that are empty or jammed.
- 31% of the respondents said that if they experienced an unclean restroom at another business they would neverfrequent the business again.
- 57% of respondents estimate that they wash their hands for only 5 – 15 seconds at a time. The CDC recommends washing your hands for at least 20 seconds to remove germs.
- 75% of respondents stated that they don’t adjust their hand washing habits during flu seasons.
- 11% of respondents reported that they frequently see people leave the restroom at work without washing their hands.
- 62% of respondents admitted to only rinsing their hands with water after using the restroom.
That, to me, is just gross!! According to Maurer, the top three reasons that people don’t wash their hands after using the restroom are:
- They use hand sanitizer instead – while hand sanitizer is good (better than nothing), it still doesn’t kill as many of the germs that good old fashioned soap and water do.
- There’s no soap in the restroom
- There’s no paper towels in the restroom
Please reach out to your employees and educate them on the importance of washing their hands, especially during the flu season. And management should ensure that the company restrooms are fully stocked and clean all of the time. Having a dirty / unstocked restroom can cause employees / customers to not wash their hands and it shows signs of poor company management.
Is your company’s restroom kept clean and stocked?