Jury duty…it’s a necessary evil. It helps keep the criminal system honest helps ensure scumbags stay off the street is necessary. They got me last year; although, I never did serve on a jury. I was released after 6 long, excruciating hours. They got me again this year.
Like many of you out there I started thinking of all the things I could say to get out of it if I was called to serve on a jury. Now, there are a rare few of you who actually like jury duty. To each his own I suppose.
Some preliminary excuses I thought of:
- ‘If he/she made it this far into the system, they must be guilty’
- ‘I am really good friends with a cop / detective’
- ‘My [insert relative relationship here] is a cop / detective / lawyer’
- ‘I have affiliations with the [insert gang, cartel, mob, etc. name here]’ ~ Okay, this one might get me into more trouble…last resort
- (Drug case) ‘I hate anyone that does drugs, so he / she is definitely guilty’
- ‘I’m racist’ ~ I guess this would only work if the defendant was of a different race than me…and if my last name wasn’t Lopez and I’m White…hhhmmm (By the way, I am definitely NOT racist!!)
- (Abuse case) ‘I was an abused spouse, so anyone who can do that is guilty’
Okay, so these excuses probably won’t work, but it’s worth a shot. I was lucky, though. The defense didn’t want me on the case because it was a rape case and the girl that was allegedly raped was 11 and 13 when it happened, and she is now 15. I have 5 children, 4 of which are in that age range, and I have 4 girls and 1 son. I knew the defense wouldn’t want me. *Super happy woman here!*
The whole experience actually wasn’t too bad. They offered free coffee, there were vending machines in the juror room, and they played a movie. Although, I didn’t partake in any of the offerings, it was nice to know they were there.
What excuses have you tried in order to get out of jury duty? Did they work?