A survey of 699 doctors in active clinical practice, in 45 states, and who have been in practice between 11 and 30 years, was conducted by the DPMA, a non-partisan association of doctors and patients. The survey was conducted to receive doctors’ views on Obama’s health care reform law, according to Sally Nelson.
General conclusions of the survey:
- Almost unanimous that medicine is on the wrong track, and overwhelmingly blame the government;
- Government-imposed solutions (PPACA, electronic health information) destined to fail;
- Highest numbers ever opting out of Medicare or refuse Medicaid;
- Vacuum in leadership in medical profession, feel abandoned by AMA & organized medicine;
- Corporate medicine (including hospital and insurance companies) is intentionally trying to destroy private practice;
- Doctors are pessimistic – failing financially & assume things will worsen;
- See doctors and patients as the solution – not government;
- Believe direct payment by patients will restore accountability & patient control;
- Restored autonomy, elimination of government involvement, increased patient responsibility and free market reforms are solutions.
Key findings of the survey:
- 90% say the medical system is on the WRONG TRACK
- 83% say they are thinking about QUITTING
- 61% say the system challenges their ETHICS
- 85% say the patient-physician relationship is in a TAILSPIN
- 65% say GOVERNMENT INVOLVEMENT is most to blame for current problems
- 72% say individual insurance mandate will NOT result in improved access care
- 49% say they will STOP accepting Medicaid patients
- 74% say they will STOP ACCEPTING Medicare patients, or leave Medicare completely
- 52% say they would rather treat some Medicaid/Medicare patient for FREE
- 57% give the AMA a FAILING GRADE representing them
- 1 out of 3 doctors is HESITANT to voice their opinion
- 2 out of 3 say they are JUST SQUEAKING BY OR IN THE RED financially
- 95% say private practice is losing out to CORPORATE MEDICINE
- 80% say DOCTORS/MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS are most likely to help solve things
- 70% say REDUCING GOVERNMENT would be single best fix.
I have always believed that when a company is attempting to increase profit and better the business in general, the leaders should always consult the customer and those who work at the bottom of the chain of command. After all, any changes in the business will affect them directly.
In this instance, the doctors and patients are the one’s who will be directly affected by the healthcare changes. The government should listen to this survey from doctors because they are the one’s who deal with insurances and patients day in and day out. According to these doctors surveyed, the medical system is on the wrong track.
Doctors are frustrated, overwhelmed, underpaid, and 8 out of 10 doctors surveyed “say that current changes make them think about quitting,” according to the survey.
As the government slides its way into American’s lives more and more, most American’s become increasingly concerned at how our ‘free country’ is becoming far from ‘free’.
What are your thoughts on Obamacare?