25 Tips To Prevent Obesity
Child obesity continues to be a problem and continues to rise. Luckily, less than 1% of all obesity is caused by medical or physical problems. What does this mean? That 99% of all obesity can be prevented!
Here are 25 simple tips to help prevent obesity in everyone, and to teach kids to live a more active and healthier lifestyle.
- Make sure everyone in the house drinks enough water. A glass of water a day is simply not enough.
- Be a good role model for your spouse and kids by eating single portions and exercising regularly.
- Enroll yourself and your family in a nutrition class or seminar.
- Restrict video games and television in your house.
- Start the day with a healthy breakfast to get your metabolism going…every single day.
- Reward responsible eating habits, but not with food.
- Choose a “food of the week” and learn about that food’s nutritional value, the history of that food, and recipes it can be used in.
- Do not use food as a reward
- Plan meals ahead of time.
- Encourage team sports and extracurricular activities that encourage physical activity.
- Whenever possible eat natural and minimally processed fresh food.
- Set a bedtime that gives everyone enough sleep.
- Eat at home whenever possible.
- Walk after meals.
- Limit juice intake.
- Cut out sodas, period!
- Bike or walk to work or school, if possible and safe.
- Find out what foods the schools are serving.
- Portion out food.
- Eat meals as a family when possible.
- Offer and eat healthy snacks, such as fruits and vegetables.
- Include protein in every meal.
- Put exercise balls in front of the television.
- Take your kids grocery shopping and get them excited about healthy foods.
- Make one day a week a “Family activity day” where you do something physical.
What other tips do you and your family practice to beat obesity?