Creating A Strong And Efficient Team
Turning a team into a functional, efficient, smooth-working team can be quite easy, if done correctly. Just putting a few people into a room and telling them they have to complete a task or project does not mean that you have created a team. To create a real team where teamwork is valued, you have to find, recognize, and use the special qualities of each individual to the highest potential possible while rewarding those special qualities that make that person so unique. Everyone is good at something and everyone’s talents are needed to build a team that thrives; that builds synergy.
“Synergy is the highest activity of life; it creates new untapped alternatives; it values and exploits the mental, emotional, and psychological differences between people.” ~ Stephen Covey
A few tips to creating a team:
- Find out what everyone is good out ~ everything from researching to presenting to motivating. All talents should be used to their fullest extent.
- Acknowledge that you understand what these qualities are in each person.
- Explain why you have chosen each person for the team and what their primary and secondary roles will be on the team.
- Divide parts of the project / assignment to everyone based on their strengths.
- Pair up team members (if appropriate) that are opposite in their strengths so they can work off of each other.
- Praise, praise, praise ~ everyone wants to hear how wonderful they are or did on something, especially in front of others.
- Ensure that credit is given where it is due.
If you work on a team, is there synergy on that team? Why or why not?