I found the article 16 Unusual Facts About the Human Body quite interesting…
- Did you know that our tongue has its own unique print, like a fingerprint?
- This one is kinda gross… “Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour”…we lose about “105 pounds of skin by age 70.
- As we grow our bones fuse together, so “an adult has fewer bones than a baby.”
- Ok, another gross one…we “get a new stomach lining every three to four days”…this is so the acids our stomach uses to digest food don’t digest our stomach.
- Our noses can remember 50,000 different scents…no wonder that smell of a perfume or a certain food takes us back to a specific day, place, or person…
- Our small intestine is about 18 – 23 feet long, hence the need for it to be looped back and forth upon itself.
- “This will really make your skin crawl: Every square inch of skin on the human body has about 32 million bacteria on it, but fortunately, the vast majority of them are harmless.”
- The reason some people have smelly feet is because of sweat. “A pair of feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day”…gross!
- “The air from a human sneeze can travel at speeds of 100 miles per hour or more”. PLEASE cover your mouth and nose while sneezing!
- “Our heart pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood” every day and there “are about 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body.”
- “The average person produces about 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime…enough to fill 2 swimming pools!
- “By 60 years of age, 60-percent of men and 40-percent of women will snore” and “can reach more than 80 decibels”…which “is as loud as the sound of a pneumatic drill breaking up concrete”.
- “The average human head has 100,000 hair follicles, each of which is capable of producing 20 individual hairs during a person’s lifetime”.
- Fingernails grow faster than toenails, and fingernails on your dominant hand grow faster than those on your other hand.
- “No wonder babies have such a hard time holding up their heads: The human head is one-quarter of our total length at birth but only one-eighth of our total length by the time we reach adulthood.”
- A person can go up to 11 days without sleep…after that, it gets deadly…
Do you have any unusual human body facts you would like to share?