Exceptional Vs. Mediocre Managers
Exceptional and mediocre managers definitely have their own set of qualities. I’ve listed a few below, but these are exceptionally broad and are definitely not all-inclusive. I have worked with and under individuals from both categories and I can tell you that the difference is easily seen!
Some qualities of exceptional managers:
- Creates goals and initiatives for employees
- They contribute ideas
- Excellent communication skills
- Use employee strengths to better the team
- Find out what their employees need to be motivated
- Proactive in enhancing policies and procedures
Some qualities of mediocre/poor managers:
- Sleeps in their office
- Attempt to motivate all employees the same way
- Waits for others to speak up that a process needs to be changed
- They expect all employees to perform the same
- They attempt to turn employees into the ‘perfect employee’
What type of manager are you? Are there areas that you know you need to improve upon?