Every year, around the same time remarkably, I have found myself scrounging up more and more money for the back to school supplies needed for my five children. Every year I am always looking for more and more ways to save a few more bucks considering the fact that prices for everything from milk to gasoline are constantly on the rise. So, I figured I would post a few tips to help some of the other parents out there who are trying to save a few bucks.
- Shop at outlets, especially for shoes! I like the Vans outlet the best. While their selection isn’t always the broadest, we can find shoes for all of the kids at lower prices (many times) than even Walmart!
- I like to hit up the local thrift stores to see what they have in the way of blue jeans for my kids before going to Wal-Mart, Kmart, or the like. Many times I can find some name brand (meaning extremely expensive brands) jeans for pennies on the dollar. I never take my kids with me, though. If they don’t know where the Levi’s came from, then they will wear them with pride!
- I buy my kids the durable backpacks…not the ones with the pretty pictures of the cartoon characters or the latest teenage craze on them. I have found that these backpacks don’t last 2 months, much less half the school year. My kids get the plain, but durable backpacks that I won’t have to replace over and over again.
- I like to get the school supplies lists at the end of the previous school year, if possible. This helps me to save money on unneeded school supplies.
- I also shop ALL of the ads for everything! Wal-Mart will match their competitors pricing, just take the ad into the store with you while shopping. That way you not only save money on the items you are purchasing, but you are saving money on the gas because you aren’t driving from store to store picking up only a few items.
- I also try to think of everything prior to going to the store (doesn’t always work, but sometimes it does). My list that I usually take: binders, lined paper, graph paper, crayons, color pencils, markers, pens, pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners (the little one’s), glue, gym shoes, blue jeans, shorts, underwear, socks, regular shoes, backpacks…I’m probably still missing a few…
How do you save money on school supplies?